Gasoline rationing began May 15, 1942. A person would have a card adhered to their windshield entitling so many stamps to be used at a time. Each stamp allowed three to five gallons of gas per week depending on the available supply. The rationing of gasoline was not because oil was in short supply but rather rubber was not available. Wheels for local delivery or farm trucks were often made of wood. Also spare parts were nearly non-existent, so to stave off automobile breakdowns, the national speed limit was reduced to 35 miles-per-hour. Many cars were simply abandoned on the roadside when they broke. Between late 1942 and 1946, mechanics and tow trucks were luxuries of another time.
Gas Ration A Card (above left). It indicated the lowest priority of gas rationing and entitled the holder to use one stamp.
B Card (see research page icon) categorized the holder as essential to the war effort and therefore entitled them to more gas than an A card holder. War workers were placed in the group.
C Card categorized the holder as very essential to the war effort.
E Card Emergency workers such as police officers. Doctors were included in this category as were ‘recognized' clergy.
T Card Truckers or other essential transportation had this card. It allowed unlimited fuel purchase.
Administered by conscientious citizens, the OPA succeeded in keeping prices stable during the remaining war years. The Office of Price Administration was disbanded in 1947.